Wednesday, October 1, 2014

justvisiting.org - My personal WordPress Blog

So many platforms, so little time.

    JustVisiting.org is not free for me to operate. 
It's not a cloud service, I run it here, at home on an old Dell, a very old Dell Dimension L550r. 
I beefed up the processor somewhat and max out the RAM. 
It runs a particular flavor of Linux and isn't a resource hog. 
In fact, it runs quite smoothly. 
What I don't know is how it may run under a big user load hitting Apache at the same time. 
That's okay. 

    I am quite certain that a DDos attack would render it "done". 
But why DDos this server?  No worries.
This platform was never intended to be high-availability. Just a system that allows me to learn the ins and outs of WordPress. 

    What I DO have problems with are people trying to break into  the machine via SSH.  They are indeed attacks. And these attacks mostly come from where?
You get three guesses.
~ Argentina? Nope. Although had a few from there.
~ Finland? Nope. Had maybe one from that part of the world.
~ Mayberry, USA? Nope. Is there a real Mayberry here state-side?
Okay, I'll tell you.
- #1 is China. Big surprise huh? Here's what happens. China comes knocking daily. China Tlecom, China this, China that. China China China. I could ban entire network blocks, but that wouldn't result in any metrics at all. No fun there. And it's metrics we want. There's a utility I have installed that will ban users after so many failed SSH attempts. Highly configurable and it works really well. I will eventually pull the ban data and related sources, such as IP address, whois info, date/time and aggregate them into a human readable form. Fun. Huh?
- #2 Is Russia. No surprise there eaither.
- #3 is a roughly a tie between users in Australia, EU countries and countries South of the Border, meaning South of Mexico's Borders.

    I'll post my findings, which of course, are always being logged, another day, when I have a spare block of time to extract, collate and correlate. More fun. Huh?

Where it all started -
I started with WordPress version, uuuhm, actually, I do not remember. Maybe v2andChange.
What I do remember is the challenge of updating WP when the updates were ready for installation.
The OS was locked down pretty hard and relaxing a couple of security features got me in the update game. 

What I remember - 
- Being at version 2.something
- Wanting to upgrade to 3.something else
- Not being able to update, upgrade, whatever it was
- Some hair-pulling
- Some teeth nashing
- Lots of WTF's
-
- Then F I N A L L Y after much poking, prodding, RTMFM's and a few changes applied under the covers, VIOLA. Wait. That's not right. VOILA! Yeah, that's it. So, I got JV up to speed and felt pretty good about being on a current version.
- Then recently, like last week, version 4 appeared.
- I applied the update (click this here, click that there and viola! No no no.  
And VOILA!  Here we are. Again. Current and compliant with WordPress version'ing.

And there you have it.

No comments: